Sunday, February 13, 2011

Doubt.

I was going to title this post, "Attention Mad Hatter: Alice in Wonderland has now pooped in the woods." That thought came before the cold.

Cold.
Cold.
Cold.

That's all I can think of when I think about our practice hike this past weekend. I'm shivering here just thinking about it.

Saturday, as we were hiking in, the weather was perfect. All in all, it was a pretty good hike. So good in fact, I kind of zoned out for part of it. This is where the Alice in Wonderland reference comes in, I pretty much slipped off into daydream world....imagining all sorts of crazy things. And the rest of the title that I did not use, I'm sure you can figure out for yourself. Since I try to be as ladylike as possible, my civilized discretions advised me against mentioning it in my blog at all, but out in the woods there isn't much room for ladylike business. Digging holes with so many tree roots all around, not fun. Pooping in the woods is not glamourous. Ew, okay...enough of that.

I think it got down to about 20-25 degrees Saturday night when we camped out. I was freezing. I had a 15 degree sleeping bag, an inflatable pad, I was wearing my base layer, mid-layer and had my fluffy jacket on. I was still so cold. I woke up at about 3:00 a.m. feeling a little delirious. I all of sudden couldn't tell if I was hot or cold, but I wanted to go outside and walk. I started taking my wool hat & jacket off. I unzipped my tent and started heading out and luckily Casey woke up and stopped me. He made me get back in the tent and then he proceeded to zip up our bags together. It helped at first, because he was rather toasty. After about thirty minutes though, I started sucking up all of his heat like a stone cold vampire. I made it through the night, but just barely. It was pretty miserable.

Then on our ride back home, I was freezing. Casey had the heat on in the car and it got up to 105 degrees, but I was still so cold. I don't know what is wrong with me. And I'm having serious DOUBTS of how I am going to overcome this.

I also realized how dirty everything gets in the woods. I know that is a real prissy thing to say, but it is true.

I have a long way to go.

I'm wondering if I can do this.

Other than that, my boots did not work. They are too small, right foot is super cramped. Casey ordered me a new pair tonight. As far as being sore, foot pain was the worst. My feet need to be able to put up a better fight than this. They can't fail me with such few miles on them.

Also, my ability to put in 8-10 miles the first day seems a little far fetched for me as of right now.

We will probably have to re-do our itinerary, what we have of it.

For now, all I can dwell on is the cold.

I'm off to take a hot bath.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment